Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Classic Yoke Design

     Here is the plate that I am using for the Yoke tutorial, and yes, I know it is too tiny to see here!  I have run into a glitch posting it on my website, so if you are going to follow along, just send me an email (vaune@vaune.com) and I will attach and send it to you.  I am making a Size 3 Yoke dress frm my new pattern, Classic Yoke from Classic Couture for Children.  If you want to follow along with me, you can use your own pattern or my yoke pattern (I will explain how to do things and then give the measurements I have, using the size 3).  I am hoping that the patterns will be ready next week - once I have them, I will begin!

Ingredients (as used in the sample):
Classic Yoke pattern (includes size 2-6)
1 1/2 to 1 3/4 yd fabric, depending on how long you want to make it
1/2 yd White 100% cotton pique'
piping cord
German interfacing for collar and sleeve cuffs
One skein each of coton a broder #798 (blue) and B5200
Thread - to match the fabric (I used white DMC 50)
Schmetz Size 60 Microtex needle
Needles for smocking

Kits are available, and include everything listed above.  The kit fee is $70 - email me to let me know if you would like me to send you one.  The kit includes 1 3/4 yd fabric.  If you are making a larger size, and require more yardage let me know.


     This design has 8 rows:  Row 1 and Row 8 are the border rows and Rows 2-4 and 5-7 are the center of the design, baby waves.  I designed this plate specifically with this tutproal in mind.  While this sample is stitched in a size 3 dress, you can add or subtract rows, depending on the size garment you are making.  Remember, you always want to think about and keep your garment in PROPORTION!
     For instance, If you are making a 12 month size, 8 rows may be too many.  Too alter the design, you still could keep the border rows, but only stitch one series of bay waves, leaving you with 5 rows instead of 8.  If you are making a larger size, you could alter it in several ways:
1.  You could add an extra row of cables at the top or the bottom (adding 2 rows)
2.  You could stich an extra series of baby waves  (adding 3 rows/wave series)
3.  You could add extra rows of baby waves in each series (adding 2 or 4 or 6 rows)

I can't stress enough - proportion is the name of the game!

If you are going to pleat your fabric now, I pleat 3 holding rows: 2 at the top and 1 at the bottom, so I pleated 11 rows for this design.

Happy Stitching,
Vaune




    

1 comment:

  1. Hello, Dear Vaune,

    I recently tried to use your FLOCHE threads, and I made a mess of the threads before even starting to use it.

    How do you do to take the thread you need to smock from the floche skein ?

    Thank you

    Best wishes from Paris
    federica

    ReplyDelete